Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Illiad, Part I

I am reading Homer's Illiad. It is very very different. I have only read the first few books, but it is incredible. I can see why it is considered one of the greatest works of all time. I don't fully understand its significance as a classic yet, but I am prepared to accept its status on authority.

One thing that shocked me was the lack of morals. Granted, this is a pre-Christian era; men behaved like savage brutes - rape his wife before he rapes yours. Still, I expected more.....'chivalrous' behavior. But Agamemnon and Achilles instantly fight over slave women - women whose sole purpose is to provide pleasure for their 'masters'. Nevermind that Agamemnon is married...

But perhaps I am overreacting. After all, I am a Roman Catholic.

Don't get me wrong - it is a great book. But I still feel dirtied after reading the fight between the two Greeks. They put the Achaians to shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment