Saturday, August 29, 2009

Theology Minor

Often I wish I had been able to become a theology minor. If I were at a standard university, I probably would have double majored in philosophy and theology with a minor in music performance. But since I attend St. John's, which has language and history of math/science instead, I pursue both of these studies independantly. To this end, I am beginning a study of theology, and over the next two years, hope to read the greatest theological classics ever penned, from Irenaeus to Barth, though I'll likely focus on the Patristic Period and the Scholastics - my true heart and soul. I will shortly compose a list of authors and titles, but here is my preliminary interest, the major thinkers of the Patristic Period:
  • Irenaeus, Against Heresies
  • Justin Martyr, Apologies
  • Tertullian
  • Athanasius, On the Incarnation
  • Augustine, City of God, etc.
  • Origen, De Principiis

There are lots of other brilliant theologians, but these will give me plenty of thought food. I will begin them next summer at the earliest; my first attempt will be reading the entire Summa Theologica, which I should like to begin next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment